Getting to the Budapest Minesweeper Tournament
People from the following countries do not need permission to visit Hungary:
Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brunei, Bulgaria, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Japan, Korea (South), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vatican State, Venezuela.
You must have a passport.
All other countries require a visa
Getting a Visa
Do not mention the minesweeper championship…they will not believe you.
You can download VISAS from www.mfa.gov.hu.
1. Buy air ticket and book hotel.
2. Buy insurance policy for your stay in Hungary.
3. Make copies of your passport, hotel booking, air ticket,
insurance, and bank statement (or letter from employer).
4. Take 3 passport photos of yourself (3cm x 4cm).
5. Take ~ 65 USD and go to the Hungarian Embassy in your country.
6. At the embassy complete the tourist visa.
(You can get the form at the Embassy or download it).
7. The visa will arrive in 2 or 3 weeks (you can pay extra for same day service).
Usually we try to book rooms in Hotel Griff Junior (www.gerandhotels.hu/index.php).
Another favourite place is the Boomerang Hostel (www.boomeranghostel.com).
A large list of Hostels can be found at www.hostels.com/en/hu.bu.html.
A really good Budapest map is www.hot-maps.de/europe/hungary/budapest.
If you need a visa, book your own room (so you can print the booking for your visa).
The best way to find a room is to ask other players in the Guestbook!