Reduced-Guessing Minesweeper

Anything to do with minesweeper...
wylx

Reduced-Guessing Minesweeper

Post by wylx »

Forced guesses are quite painful, especially in expert games. What set of "alternate rules" for minesweeper do you think would make a game that requires less guessing?

Here's a possible alternate game I thought of: when a mine is marked, it also shows the number of mines in the eight squares around it, along with the mine mark. Of course, this would have to mean that wrongly indicating a mine results in a loss.
aradesh

Re: Reduced-Guessing Minesweeper

Post by aradesh »

Have you played on http://www.minesweeperlive.com? On there guesses are banned. Also people have considered versions where you just ban 50/50 guesses.
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

forced guesses are a part of the game. and if every forced guess makes you cry, ... (i better not continue this sentence)

my opinion:

mslive and luckysweeper exist -> use them and keep the original minesweeper clean of those ideas.
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
wylx

Post by wylx »

Hi; sorry if I didn't word in a way that carries my intention over. I was exaggerating with the "painful"—I'm perfectly fine with minesweeper as it is but I'm also suggesting an "alternative" game—I'm not suggesting that minesweeper change its rules.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The reason I'm against stuff like that is that it turns minesweeper into a game of pure pattern solving, as opposed to a game of pattern solving and risk management. There is nothing challenging in 50:50s, but more complicated situations are a big part of the fun for me :)
Don't anthropomorphize computers - they don't like it.
computronium

Post by computronium »

My idea is a version where, when you get into a situation where you can't figure out any more squares to clear or flag, then you can click a button to consult the Oracle, which will tell you the location of a mine or a clear square. The catch is, if you bother the Oracle while there's still squares you could have figured out, you lose the game.
EWQMinesweeper

Post by EWQMinesweeper »

computronium: check luckysweeper
„Das perlt jetzt aber richtig über, ma sagn. Mach ma' noch'n Bier! Wie heißt das? Biddä! Bidddää! Biddddäää! Reiner Weltladen!“
computronium

Post by computronium »

EWQMinesweeper wrote:computronium: check luckysweeper

Very cool, and a more elegant solution than what I had in mind...